Friday, May 30, 2014

Will freezer pack keep dairy products cool enough to be safe to eat in a lunch bag?




Nathan


I have an insulated lunch tote that has a mesh screen on the top where a freezer gel pack can slip inside. I also have containers with freezable gel containers for a sandwich and about 3/4 of a cup. This is cool enough to keep lunch meat cool enough to eat, but lunch meat can be kept at room temperature for the purposes of a lunch.

I haven't used mayonnaise, but I would like to. I'd also like to use the cup to keep yogurt or cottage cheese but I'm afraid the yogurt will spoil before I can get to it.

I leave for work about 7:45 and I have lunch at 11:15. There is a refrigerator, but it's iffy that there will be any space for my bag, so I keep my bag at my desk until lunch.

By 11:15 the gel has thawed is is sloshing around, but the sandwich is cool. But I'm not sure if it's cool enough to safely eat mayo or cottage cheese or yogurt.



Answer
There should be no problem keeping your food safe for that amount of time, but if you are worried why not get one more freezer pack and put it on the bottom of your bag for security? That would be more than enough even if they both thawed out. Another thing you can do for safety is to freeze your sandwich. It would be thawed out by lunch and you would also have the added security of knowing it would not be getting too warm where there is mayo in it, and it would also help keep your food cold. Just a small word of advice tho, lunch meat should never be kept at room temperature with the assumption that it will be safe for that little bit of time. We just got over a nasty case of salmonella in my family by assuming that. Always keep your sandwiches as cold as you can for as long as you can.

What are some lunch ideas that don't need a microwave?




Tanya


I found some good containers that keep food cold (which is great because there is no access to a refrigerator) but no good ones that keep food hot/warm (at least, not in my budget). I'm going to be starting college in a couple of weeks and the only thing I can think to take are sandwiches and salads. Any ideas on what to take would be awesome (healthy ideas would be more so), thanks.


Answer
have you thought about a thermos?

or an insulated lunch bag?

as long as you put stuff thats already hot in it they will keep it warm

otherwise if you have access to hot water you could have noodle cups

or if you have a sandwich press you could toast your sandwich

or you could have wraps




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Will freezer pack keep dairy products cool enough to be safe to eat in a lunch bag?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment