Saturday, October 26, 2013

how long can salad be left at room temperature?

good insulated lunch bag on Jane Jenni Insulated Lunch Bag Log Cabin - SEE OTHER ONE AS WELL
good insulated lunch bag image



saylor


I'm in college and I have a busy schedule that requires me to pack a lunch and on some days dinner. I'm trying to eat as clean as possible and I really don't want to pack a sandwich everyday. I really like salads and I was just wondering how long they would stay fresh outside a fridge? I'm going to have to keep it in my car for a few hours but I have ice packs in a insulated lunch bag. So, would having a salad sit out for a few hours be okay? I will also put dressing on it but should I stick that it another container or go ahead and pour it on there beforehand? suggestions?


Answer
No longer than two hours at room temperature (41F -135F) because mayonnaise based dressing,dairy products like cheese and even tomatoes are prone to rapid bacteria growth.

Even side from those things. Lettuce wilts and turns brown quickly if not kept sealed and cold. Your salad will also be very soggy if you put the dressing on it hours before. I would store it separate and add once you're going to eat.

*If you have an ice pack with the salad in a very small bag it should be okay. I say in a small bag or small compartment so the ice pack has an easier time of keeping the salad cold for an extended period of time.

Is it safe to clean and re-use a moldy lunch container?




amy1577


I just found a re-usable insulated lunch bag I thought I lost about a year ago. I was all excited to start using it again when I opened it up and found the sides were moldy from what appears to be either an apple or an orange that I obviously forgot to take out. The bag is in otherwise good condition... there are no cracks in the plastic. Would it be safe for me to give the bag a good cleaning, perhaps with some bleach water, and begin re-using it for my lunch?


Answer
I wouldn't use bleach on plastic, but a good cleaning may be enough. If after it is washed there is a stain, then the plastic was porous enough that the mold is likely permanent, in that case I wouldn't reuse.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: how long can salad be left at room temperature?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment