Saturday, December 14, 2013

Can I store a bottle with express milk in an insulated nappy bag for a few hours?

insulated lunch bags for kids on cow print insulated lunch bag funky cow print kids insulated lunch bag ...
insulated lunch bags for kids image



ked.08


I would love to be able to take a bottle with expressed milk to the shops or when we are going somewhere that breastfeeding is a little akward. Can I store the bottle in one of those insulated bottle bags? Can I maybe take the frozen breast milk bags and sterilised bottles and heat when needed? I am not sure how long I can keep it out of the freezer before it is ruined. Thanks :-)


Answer
Yes, you can do this.

Freshly expressed breast milk can be left out at room temperature for at least six hours.

Frozen breast milk can be stored in the fridge for 24 hours once it's thawed. Frozen milk loses some of its immune properties and isn't as resilient to bacterial growth as fresh milk is. It would be fine to tote it along in a small insulated bag (like a lunch kit) with an ice pack to prevent it from thawing too quickly. For both of my kids, I've also brought along a thermos of hot water to heat bottles in once they were ready to eat.

Refer to this chart and the accompanying article - it will help you figure out how to store and transport your milk:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp#T026901

Good luck!

What's the best water bottle for a kid's lunch box?




rainwriter


I've been out of the loop for a while. Are Siggs still a big deal or have they been passed up? It seems like most water bottles we find end up with a slow drip when on their sides after just a few uses.


Answer
Ha! You've come to the right place, I happen to be anal about water bottles and have been on a big campaign to find a water bottle that a) is leak proof, b) is thermal and c) the kids can actually open by themselves.

I love the contigo stainless steel ones.
http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-stainless-steel-kids-cup.html

S'well also makes insulated leak-proof bottles for kids, but I'm not sure how easy they would be to open. I actually e-mailed the company to ask if their bottles are leak PROOF and they are.
https://store.swellbottle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TWB

Kleen Kanteen makes good ones but the sport bottles are not leak proof, they even say that on their website.

My kids are 3 and 6 and wouldn't be able to easily open a bottle that has to be screwed on and off, so we chose contigo. They've been shoved in back packs, dance bags, gym bags, lunch bags, and never leaked.

EDIT- Apparently we have a water-bottle-hater in our midst, LOL! Lots of thumbs downs!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can I store a bottle with express milk in an insulated nappy bag for a few hours?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment