Tuesday, April 1, 2014

childrens garage sale...what would you do?




allybabes2


Im trying to clear out my daughters old stuff for the new baby boy thats on the way so im having a massive garage sale.
i just pulled out all of my daughters old boxed up clothes and there are literally hundred and hundreds of clothes.
I was going to hang up and price tag the more expensive items like dresses and jackets and such.
but the rest of it what should i do?
I was thinking of just having seperate giant boxes that say $.50, $1 and $2 each. and toss all of the clothes in them accordingly.
but then i thought, how am i gonna know what box ppl grabbed all of these different clothes from when they come to pay?
what would you do? any ideas?
also, i was thinking of maybe getting those big packs of dot stickers and each color would stand for a different price and just sticker all of the clothes..?



Answer
When my children were young, my sister-in-law and I lived near each other and we had 7 kids between us. Every year or so we'd have a big combined yard sale. What we did with our massive amounts of kids' clothes (she worked at a high end department store and bought tons of stuff on clearance for all the kids) was we'd put all the nicer things on hangers and mark them individually. Everything else was put out on tables or left in boxes. We would save up our white plastic grocery bags than we'd sell the clothes per bag. We generally had a 3 day sale. On the first day, our price would be $5/bag. On the second day we'd do $4/bag. The third day we'd start the day with $3/bag, but usually by lunch we were down to $2 or $1 per bag depending on how much we had left over and the condition of things. By then we just wanted it to go to a new home so we didn't have to drag it back into our houses. We shared a lot of clothes between our kids anyway so it was always hard to say who the clothes actually "belonged" to, so we just kept track of how many bags we sold and divided the money equally. If someone only wanted 1-2 items and not a whole bag, we usually let things go for either 25 or 50 cents depending on what it was. The thing with stickers is they don't stay on clothes very well plus are easy to get stuck on other clothes. Our goal was to get rid of as much stuff as possible and make a little money in the process so we didn't worry too much about getting hung up on pricing each individual item of clothing. It's very time consuming.

More durable/ rugged Ziplock freezer bag alternatives?




VeganPothe


Hello, basically my freezer is dedicated to storing frozen vegetables and i find that the freezer bags i use dont last veryh long at all. Infact im pretty sure they are designed to fail. Actually of course theyre designed to fail, silly me! They break in the same spot every time rendering them utterly useless, thats if they dont flat out get a hole poked in them. I Do not want to keep buying plastic over and over and over, theyhre not cheap either. WHy cant i buy a freaking heavy duty military freezer bag? hmmm military freezer bag, i think im onto somthing. Or maybe i should check with NASA see if they got somthing that can handle the harsh rigors of my freezer and my abusive frozen vegetebles. THank you. I posted in this section because i know yall are a thrify bunch. Buyng ziplocks aint thrify lol


Answer
To the person above me-- I'm only 35 and some of my Tupperware containers my mom had when I was a kid and she passed them on to me. We have a couple of the old Sandwich Keepers that my sister and I used in our school lunches in grade school. I even have a couple of the cereal containers that my mom had too. Since I was the last to move out, my parents didn't need six of them so she passed them on to me.

Ziplock bags are a waste of money. I find the Ziplock commercials saying that people waste money on food and then say they should buy the expensive, one-time use, non-recycleable, disposable bags. Another commercial for lemmings.

We use Tupperware, and ohter good quality plastic storage containers and glass containers (such as Pyrex) and even Corning containers. Cheap after the initial investment (though most of our Tupperware containers and others were found in rummage sales and Goodwill or what my mother found at rummage sales), wedding gifts, etc.

We do have plastic storage bags, but they were bought years ago and we even have the large bags that I rescued from a trash pile. (We live near a university town and I like to go "treasure hunting" when the students move out. While the Ziplock bags are essentially trash, I thought we'd get some use out of them.) Generally, when we do use one, we try and REUSE it when we can before throwing it away. We use one of the large storage bags for our coffee bags-- It's big enough for two. (My MIL uses them in lieu of storage containers and she probably put it over a foam plate of her cookies and candy that she makes at Christmas. Utterly wasteful, but they use foam plates for daily use as well. Then they complain they don't have much money....) Anyway, when we started to buy the "fancy" coffee, I found the bag and thought it would work.

Anyway, it sounds as though it would be good for you to go to WalMart or Target, etc. and buy a box of different size Rubbermaid containers and also look on the Tupperware site as well.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: childrens garage sale...what would you do?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment