Friday, April 4, 2014

I have never in my life packed a school lunch. Help?




Krystilin


Hiya! The prices for lunch at my middle school has risen to about $5 and pus the food tastes like bullshit lol. I want to pack my own lunch, but I've never done it before. I'm planning on packing a salad (the ones in the plastic bowls that you can buy at the market and it has all the condiments separated), a water bottle, and a bag of chips. I'm in 8th grade and I like everything in my backpack light, so I'll need to find a way to keep everything cool AND keep my backpack thin. Should I use a plastic bag to put everything in? What should I use? That's probably a stupid question lol.. Thanks for answering!!


Answer
Not a stupid question!
I received as a gift a smaller insulated lunch sack. It is the same shape and size as a brown paper bag.
They sell small containers with liquid in them that freeze, and you just toss one of those in on the bottom.

An alternative to the ice pack is a frozen juice box, and making sure whatever is in your lunch is cold when you put it in. Freeze your water bottle, but not so it is solid, or it will bust.
There was a recent study that said this was not enough, so if your lunch time is more than a few hours past when you packed your lunch, then invest in the ice pack.

Buy a thermos for cold stuff and hot stuff. wonderful for things like soups or stews or chili or casseroles. Rivers adores cottage cheese and fruit, and this goes in my thermos just fine.

Invest in some tupperware/storage containers that will not leak. they are great for all the stuff you pack, even keeping chips and crackers and bread from getting squished. Rivers puts them in a baggie to keep them fresh, then into a container to keep them whole.

Walmart has a whole section of this kind of stuff. For cheap. And it lasts a long, long time.

Get your Mom to buy salad stuff at the grocery, way cheaper to put it all together from scratch, than to get it off the salad bar. Buy some bottles of salad dressing, and pour some into a sealed tight container. Really cheap, and then you do not have to have the same kind every day.
Also consider taking leftovers from last night's dinner. Meatloaf, tuna casserole, roast, you will be the envy of every kid in school.

Save plastic tableware from fast food places, and use that for your lunch. Take it back home and wash it and reuse. Huge savings!

How do I transport frozen/refrigerated food for 12 hours in the luggage compartment of a coach bus?




tina


It wouldn't go above 35 degrees since it's winter... do you think it would be ok to buy some dry ice in an insulated lunch bag for the frozen food and to leave the "need to be refrigerated" foods in the luggage compartment under a coach bus? like sushi, cooked lobster?

the coach bus luggage compartment would be approximately the same temperature as outdoor temps right?
well it wouldnt go above 40 degrees. im travelling from ny to sc on a bus



Answer
Dry ice will disappear very quickly. You would also need a <<lot>> - far more than you could fit into an insulated lunch bag. You might be better of with frozen "blue ice" packs. Look in sporting goods stores for them. Places like Walmart probably carry them.

An insulated lunch bag will not provide enough insulation for the trip. You should use a regular insulated cooler. It does not have to be large, but large enough for your items and 4 or 5 blue ice packs.

We have no idea what the policy of the bus line is as far as whether or not the cargo area is heated. If you want to find out, ask the bus company.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I have never in my life packed a school lunch. Help?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment