Monday, June 16, 2014

Ideas for a Good-for-You Lunch?




ALJ


I need ideas for lunches. I bring my lunch to work everyday. It must be healthy and not too complicated. I usually do salads but I want something warm (or at least room temp) now that it is getting cold outside. I have done those Campbells "Soup-at-Hand" and they are good but the sodium in them is insane! Please help - I hate trying to think of lunches!


Answer
You can heat and use your own soups if you buy a simple, single-serving thermos. My kids take home lunch (dietary concerns & allergies), some of their favorite healthy thermos lunches for this time of year are:

- chicken noodle soup (take the soup in the thermos and add the noodles from a ziplock bag - the soup will still be hot enough to warm the noodles in a few minutes)
- chili - bag your own sides like baked tortilla chips, cheese or nonfat sour cream and make sure you put lots of veggies in the chili
- veggie pho (a vietnamese broth based soup that you add in fresh, raw flavors before eating like lime juice, cilantro & bean sprouts).

Other options they like are kolache type sandwiches which stay hot in foil (bread dough wrapped around sausages for example) for quite a few hours. A good recipe is here: http://www.recipezaar.com/Ham-And-Cheese-Kolache-39168.

For me, during the fall, I generally take a baked potato once a week. Wrapped in foil and fresh out of the oven (I roast overnight and use the rest for twice-baked potatoes at supper time), I put it in an old "drink cozy" and then in a ziplock & paper carrier. Generally the potato is still hot enough to melt my toppings when I cut it open at lunch.

Hope this helps.

what are the best healthy cookbooks specifically for lunch?




wendy!


i am looking for the best cookbooks for a healthy lunch.
no online recipes please.



Answer
I swear by the Brown Bag Lunch Cookbook by Miriam Jacobs. The recipes are adult friendly, and actually quite good. There are creative ideas in here which have inspired me to think of other lunch ideas.

For the kids, I go with The Top 100 Recipes for a Healthy Lunchbox: Easy and Exciting Ideas for Your Child's Lunches by Nicola Graimes. The recipes in this book are interesting and innovative, and most of the recipes are sure to be kid-pleasers.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Ideas for a Good-for-You Lunch?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment