Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What are different ideas for packing lunches for my daughter?

insulated lunch bags and boxes on ... Iron Man Boys Insulated Lunch Bag Tote School Lunch Box NWT | eBay
insulated lunch bags and boxes image



Kylee Brui


My daughter just started kindergarten, and has started bring lunches to school. I never brought lunches to school, so I don't have any knowledge on different ideas.
I don't want to send her with just sandwiches, chips, carrots, ect everyday.. Any tips/ideas for different food that will stay good in her lunch bag until they eat? Thanks!



Answer
My kids take a variety of things. Sandwiches (but no peanut butter or any type of nut spread), a fun snack like cookies or chips, and a healthy snack like raisins or carrot sticks. I've also found that you can freeze yogurt or Go-gurt tubes, and pack them frozen. By lunch time, they are melted or semi-melted and still cold for the kids to eat. My daughters also like the mini cups of applesauce, single serve cups of pudding or even bags of dry cereal. A trick I use to keep things cold is to freeze the juice box and pack it frozen. Like the yogurt, it defrosts in the bag, but keeps the rest of the lunch cold. By lunch time, it's perfect to drink. I pack in an insulated, reusable lunch bag.

For sandwiches, the kids like jelly, lunch meats with cheese, grilled cheese served cold, the typical normal foods.

Can I carry a can of Ensure past TSA?




BOB PHX


I am diabetic, and recently started to take injection medicine that must be kept cold. I have an insulated lunch bag that I keep it in, along with Frozen Gel Packs. I also tell the X-Ray screener what it is, and no problem.

My question is, that I would like to carry a can of Ensure, which is a "meal replacement" when you don't have time to eat, but don't want your blood sugar to drop dangerously. Since it's technically not medicine, I want to know if I can keep a can of it in my lunch bag with my medicine?

IMPORTANT: I would like to hear from OTHERS who have done this, and what the results were. In all due respect, I am not interested in hearing from those who are SPECULATING, unless you are a TSA or Airport Employee.



Answer
I have not tried the Ensure (although that is a good idea) but I have gotten juice boxes through TSA with minimal problems.

Being a type 1, I will not travel without something with me for low sugars, especially now that most airlines do not serve food on domestic flights...at least they don't serve more than a snack and a bag of peanuts doesn't cut it.

TSA questioned me as to why I had juice boxes and graham crackers. I explained I was a diabetic and that it was needed in case I had an insulin reaction. I showed my Medic Alert card and I was allowed through. The juice and crackers was in a small lunch bag that fit into my backpack.

I also had an empty water bottle. The bottle sailed through inspection and I just filled it up at a water fountain near my gate. Easy.

Have a medical alert ID and if possible, a note from your doctor. Diabetics have the right to keep any necessary supplies with them at all times. Assert that right.

EMT




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are different ideas for packing lunches for my daughter?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment