Sunday, November 17, 2013

What do I need for a baby Netherland Dwarf OR Holland Lop rabbit?

lunch bags for adults uk on Hello Kitty Lunch Bag | Girls | School Lunch Bags | Net Price Direct
lunch bags for adults uk image



KristyW


In two weeks I'm going to be getting either a holland lop or a netherland dwarf (the breeder has both varieties that will be weaned and ready to go then, so I have to decide when I get there). I would like to know what all supplies I need for one, I know cage, food, hay, water bottle and toys, but is there anything else? What sized cage? What kind of bedding? What about for the litter box, what kind of litter? Also, names? If I go with a Netherland dwarf, it will be broken tan colored (tan with white patches) and if I go with a Holland lop it will be white with black spots. I will get a male rabbit

Anyone have experience with either of these breeds and has tips or insight?
Oh, I've had rabbits before, but they were Californians (one of the smaller GIANT breeds) and mom wouldn't let me keep them inside the house except on the coldest winter days. She said if I picked a smaller breed this time, I could keep it inside, that's why I don't know what an INDOORS rabbit might need that is different.
Listen, I've been to petfinder, there are no rabbits in my state that I can adopt, they only have the bigger breeds, the mixed breed larger rabbits, The closest ND's and Holland Lops are in completely different states. If I don't get one of these two breeds, mom WILL make me make it live outdoors. I want to adopt, but that's just not possible in my case.



Answer
If I were you, I would get the Holland Lop. Netherland Dwarfs tend to be more "energized". I would not recommend a Dwarf breed for a first time rabbit owner because they can be nippy and hard to socialize.

THE CAGE:
All right, about the cage. I find cages don't really work for rabbits. It is impossible to find a cage that is big enough for a rabbit. I promise you'll be sad to see your beloved bunny cooped up in a tiny little cage. I bought the biggest cage for my American Fuzzy Lop, Natasha, that they had at the pet store, and she couldn't even stand up. I find that the best solution for rabbits is either a C&C cage or an exercise pen, such as those used for dogs. They offer the space that all the rabbit books say rabbits should have, and they are easier to maintain than a traditional cage.

C&C cages are used for guinea pigs more often than rabbits. Rabbits have been known to jump over the sides of C&C cages with ease. That's why I prefer exercise pens. However, here is an information sheet on C&C cages:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm
I would just make the sides taller.

If you're not into handy work, and exercise pen is a good option. You'll want to get the tallest one you can get. Go to the pet store and in the dog section you will find these exercise pens. They look like this:
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3756518_alternate1_t400.jpg
You can just put an old drop cloth or blanket under the pen. Every day, you can vacuum the various debris (hay, fur, etc.). Pens offer a lot more space than traditional cage, which will make for a happier rabbit.

THE FOOD:
As far as food goes, rabbits are not very needy. You need to get pellets for your rabbit. These can be found at any pet store and some grocery stores. Buy pellets that are JUST pellets. There should be no chunks of anything but pellets in your rabbit's food. This is what the pellets should look like:
http://www.food4wildbirds.co.uk/images/rabbit%20pellets.jpg
You will also need some Timothy hay, which can be found at the pet store. Don't buy alfalfa or sweetgrass. Buy Timothy hay.
Get a dripper water bottle. I'm sure you know what these look like. You will also need a heavy food crock for the pellets and a hay rack for the hay.

THE TOYS:
Your pet store will have a lot of rabbit toys on hand. I also like to make rabbit toys. Here are a few good ideas:

1. A paper lunch bag stuffed with hay and tasty treats
2. A jar with hay and treats in it
3. Cat toys (such as balls that your rabbit can pick up and throw)
4. Toilet paper or paper towel tubes, again stuffed with hay and treats
5. Large boxes that your rabbit can hide under

THE LITTER BOX:
The litter box should be a large, square pan with a high back. Do not get a corner box, such as those used for ferrets. The square ones are better. I would put hay in this. That will encourage your rabbit to eat and poo at the same time, which is a good thing.
Now I'm guessing your rabbit is coming to your house already litter box trained, but if not here's how to do it:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a/rabbitslt.htm

Good luck with your new bunny!

P.S. You may want to neuter your bunny. Intact adult rabbits tend to be hormonal and aggressive, even if they were well socialized.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What do I need for a baby Netherland Dwarf OR Holland Lop rabbit?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment