Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Healthy kids lunches!?




kimberly M


I need healthy lunch box ideas for my 11 year old daughter. I have printed a bunch of ideas for wraps but those too will get boring over time. I would greatly appreciate any ideas!


Answer
well, my family is very into health and I run track, so I have been brown bagging it since kindergarten (although last year I started buying lunch which was awful)
My typical lunch is:
-organic multigrain roll with hummus, romaine lettuce, and tomato (carbohydrate, protein, vegetable)
-some sort of fruit: either apple, plum, peach, etc (whatever is in season)
-trailmix (just through together peanuts, raisins, dried fruit, almonds, or whatever: more protein)
-skim milk from the cafeteria (dairy/calcium)
I have been a vegetarian since the age of 4 (almost 10 years now) so no coldcuts for me, but turkey, chicken, tuna, or other meats can be a good source of protein. Be careful, because some cold cuts are full of fat and aren't good for you. You can also have cheese or pb+j (from healthfood section, brands like skippy or peter pan have hydrogenated vegetable oil, and a lot of jellies or jams are loaded with waaaaaaaay too much sugar)
try to stay away from or limit packaged foods or foods high in fat, sugar, or salt.
Also, have her keep a water bottle with her throughout the day, especially when it is hot. It doesn't take anything major to get you dehydrated.

there are lots of choices out there for a healthy lunch that will keep your energy up for the day, you just have to look to find them.

What was your childhood lunch box- bag or metal? What was your favorite made-from home...?







...lunch? Do you still have the Box?
I can recall having two metal lunch boxes when I was a child with television characters on it, yet I only recall only one of the TV shows. It was "Bonanza", but I don't remember ever watching the TV show-so why did I get the lunch box?

My regular lunch was Peanut Butter & Jelly made with Wonder Bread bread--you know the one that had 12 vitamins baked into every slice to build strong bones! Along with the PJ sandwich, my mom would include a baggie of potato chips & some chocolate milk in the supplied Bonanza thermos bottle. Somewhere, I still have that Bonanza lunch box, but the thermos is no where to be found.

What was your lunch box- what TV show did it depict? What was your favorite school lunch that your parent made for you. Did you buy lunch at school? what was your favorite meal at school? Mine was at Thanksgiving when they made a real Turkey feast.

Well its time to go back to school-what are you serving up your child for lunch and will it be in a brown bag/metal box?



Answer
...was literally a box. One of those flat type cartons that four six-packs of soda comes in.

My grandmother would pick me up after school and she would have made me a bologna and Miracle Whip sandwich (on Home Pride wheat bread), paired with a snack sized bag of Frito-Lay Fritos, a few bunches of green grapes, and a small bottle of Coke. For dessert, I had Snack-Pack chocolate pudding. It was the "bestest" lunch ever, not only because it had all of my favorite foods, but because my grandmother would make it for me, bring it to me, and let me eat it in the car on the way home. It was cool. 8)

When I got into junior high and high school, I bought my lunches. My favorite lunch was the taco salad. It had REAL lettuce, REAL tomatoes, REAL beans, REAL salsa. It was one of the few things on the menu that wasn't made of TupperFood (plastic-y, tasteless, textureless, worthless food like the pizza or the Salisbury steak - bleah) and was reasonably priced. Plus, they had to make it fresh (while-you-wait), so I knew that it hadn't been sitting out in the kitchen heat for 2 hours.

I don't have kids, but my nephews are not in the "lunch box" crowd. They take their lunches in brown sacks (their mother is all about reduce, reuse, recycle), and it's usually a turkey sandwich, carrots, a few slices of cheese, and milk or a bottle of water.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Healthy kids lunches!?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment