Thursday, November 28, 2013

Flying alone with a toddler?

lunch bags for kids amazon on ... qty 1 yes i want free two day shipping with amazon prime amazon prime
lunch bags for kids amazon image



Maudie


I'm flying across country in about a month with my soon-to-be 20 month old. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.


Answer
It's been done before, but it is a high wire act!

Flying with a child is actually a three-step process. Think of it this way:

1: Getting from the car, to check-in for your flight
2: Getting through security
3: Getting through the flight

If you struggle with the first two, your nerves are shot by the time you board the flight. Should they go smoothly, you'll have some of your best left for the plane ride.

So here goes:

Phase 1:

Pack light. Very light. Buy diapers and other disposables (extra snacks, etc.) when you arrive at your destination.

Plan to check most of your luggage, including any liquids. Keep out one complete change of clothes for you & your kid - maybe two kid shirts if he's a messy eater - and what you'll ned for the duration.

Do a test run for how you'll get all that gear to the airport. If you can take a cab/get a ride, that's great. Otherwise, you'll need to get your stroller, baby, carry-on and wheelie suitcase from the parking lot to the terminal. I've paid more to park in short-term in order to avoid having to also board a parking shuttle solo. (Often people are helpful and lovely, but I've also had drivers almost pull away while I'm half unloaded.)

Odds are you can push your stroller with one hand while pulling the wheelie bag - just make sure your carryon has somewhere to go, too.

Just in case, carry a copy of your child's birth certificate or passport. I've only been asked for it to prove my child was under 24 months and could be a lap baby, but it helps to have some documentation for your child just in case. (He's now three, so it's not an issue, but I carry it anyway.)

I've used a backpack carrier instead of a stroller a few times - once my son puked down my back! In general, it works well, but it can be tough to find enough space to load/unload your child safely when you're traveling by yourself.

Try to avoid having to take your carseat. Unless your child can't comfortably sit upright, the airline doesn't require it. And you can always rent one with a rental car. If that's not an option, check it through as luggage. You can buy a car seat carrier bag for about $25 on Amazon or at most baby stores. It's cumbersome, but it does have backpack straps.

Phase 2:

If you have to wear winter coats into the airport, take a second and stash them before you go through security. Make sure you're not wearing any clothing you'll have to remove for screening. (Other than shoes, of course.)

I suggest you put your carry-on on the belt first, followed by your shoes & your kids shoes, and your stroller last. The stroller can kind of block other people from edging up against you, and your kid from making a get-away. But other than that, keep your child in the stroller until you're pretty close to the screening.

If your kid carries a favorite toy, explain in advance that his toy has to go "on a ride" and let him put it in the bin himself.

NOTE: Flying with a laptop means in-air entertainment; it also means an extra step during check-in. I've been known to do it if I think I'll also use the laptop for other reasons on my trip, but I won't do it just to distract my child. If you do bring your laptop, buy headphones, not ear buds. My kid won't tolerate them. Among my next purchases, now that my kid is older, is going to be a video-equipped iPod and carrying case for long flights ... but, as I said, he's three. At two, videos didn't hold his attention long enough to justify the expense.

Phase 3:

The easy part.

I like to get to my gate early, bust out the toys and crayons and watch the planes take off. Some parents prefer to walk around the concourse until closer to boarding time, maybe eat lunch before boarding. I've done that, too, but find that I get irritated by having all our luggage in tow. (And airport stores are filled with I-want-that-items.) But that really depends on your preference.

You'll probably get to pre-board. Again, some parents don't because they like their kids to romp. I like to get settled.

For the flight itself, I'd suggest you bring a refillable sippy cup, some of his favorite but non-sugary snacks, one special treat as a bribe, and a few toys - preferably his most favorites, mixed in with ones he's never seen before. (For my kiddo, that usually meant his wooden train with one new train car.) Coloring books with storylines are great, because then you can read or color or both.

Pace yourself. You don't necessarily have to entertain your child the entire flight - odds are good that some of the experience will give him plenty to take in - the clouds, for example. (This is why I like to eat on the plane, too - it takes some of the heat off me while he munches.) But I do keep up a running commentary about what's happening. "Now we're going to taxi down the runway and the plane is going to go up in the sky. Who are we going to see in California? Grandma! And her doggie!"

The Airmall catalog always has pictures of (pampered) animals (selling pricey gadgets). Plan on a quick browse through to check out the cats and dogs and birds.

If you get really desperate, I've turned the airsick bags provided in every pocket into hand puppets.

As for apologizing? My son has never had a total meltdown on any of his flights, but honestly? I probably wouldn't. If my son was in distress, I'd focus on HIM. (The exception I'd make would be anybody who was sitting next to my child. And then I'd keep it to an "I'm very sorry we've made the flight uncomfortable for you.")

My sense is that most people who are upset about kids' behavior on flights aren't parents and tend to have absurd ideas about how kids shouldn't be allowed on planes or that they should be drugged and shoved in the luggage compartments.

Should your 20 m.o. not take to the friendly skies, know that for everyone shooting daggers, there are plenty of parents and grandparents and aunts on the flight feeling nothing but sympathy for you.

My first solo flight with my son was when he was 8 weeks old. I'd worn him in a Baby Bjorn carrier. At security, I was flummoxed when I realized I had to take my (sleeping, of course) baby out and remove the carrier entirely to go through. The traveler behind me - a distinguished looking man in an immaculate suit - said, "let me help you, dear" and had me out of that Bjorn in ten seconds flat. He even held my son while I took the carrier off.

Whenever our flight isn't going well, I remember that for every mean-spirited soul, there's another passenger missing the children who aren't traveling with him this trip.

You'll be among more friends than you know.

I need some shopping tips?




Karisha S


This paycheck my husband and I had so many bills that I only have 100 dollars for grocceries. (Which isn't normal) Does anyone one have any shopping tips? Also factor in I have to buy diapers. I need to make this money stretch for only two weeks. I just don't know what to buy so that way i could put things together. I recieve wic so factor out milk, cheese, eggs and formula/rice cereral.
we eat meat!



Answer
Not only can you save money through several techniques:
Buying non-perishables in bulk when they are on sale
Not buying name brands
Not buying prepared meals (includes microwavable dinners)
Make several meals worth of a dinner at a time and freeze for later in the week, or next week. (Meatloaf works great for this)
Buy store brand paper products.
Stop using zip baggies to store food, and get some good washable containers. If money is tight, get the store version of the Gladware storage containers. Each container will last about 10x the usage of a ziper bag.
Start brownbagging. Last nights leftovers in a reusable container makes a pretty good lunch.
etc...

There is more you can do to stretch your dollar as well, and it involves cutting out any unnecessary spending. Things like bottled water. Realistically, there is no difference between that and tap water. If your tap has a bit if a taste to it, well get a Brita or Pur pitcher. Bottled water is like $1 or more a bottle, and a family of four can go through something like 120 a month. That's a lot of money spent on water.

Other things to consider dropping for more cash:
Cable TV. Drop everything but the basic+ channels. HBO/Showtime etc... all cost money, and unless you really watch them, that's food you are sending out of the house. Savings: $30 a month or more.
Cell phone service: Looking at around $59 a month here for 400 free minutes. Do you really need to talk that much? I doubt it. Get a pre-pay phone. Instead of $50+ a month, you are looking at around $100 a year. Still have the phone for emergencies, but at a MUCH lower cost.
Coffee: WOW! this is a big one. Starbucks will make you broke 12 ounces at a time. Even if you just get their drip coffee every day, you are looking at almost $50 a month. For $50 you can get enough coffee for three months and a coffee maker.
DVDs/CDs/mp3s/books: Find a cheaper way. The library probably rents DVDs, and they, not Amazon, are the place to get books that you are only going to read once. As to CDs, listen to the ones you have for a while. In six months will you still be listening to that song you HAD to have from iTunes for 99 cents?
Children's clothing. eBay is your friend. Folks sell lots of clothes at bargain prices. Want a full summer wardrobe for a 1-1/2 year old boy? Bid well, and you could get it for as little as $10 plus shipping. Especially on the baby clothes. Kids grow up so fast that their clothes do not have the chance to wear out.
Thrift store are another option for clothing.
And the list goes on and on.

From my personal past, just for a bit of inspiration, I took a serious look at where my money went every month a few years back, and I cut out most of the BS spending (a few highlights above), and I was able to cut out over $400 a month, and really did not miss any of it.

Best if luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Flying alone with a toddler?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment