Sunday, April 20, 2014

When you pack your kids' lunches for school...?

Q. Do you put some kind of ice pack in there to keep things cool? Or do you do something different to keep it cool? Silly question, I know, but my son is in Kindergarten and he's been begging me to pack his lunch instead of getting a tray in the cafeteria. He's gotta show off his cool new lunchbox. ;-)


Answer
I am in my 25th year of packing school lunches. My oldest is 31, my youngest is 13 and she's the only one in school right now. I am mom to 4 and none of them were particularly fond of cafeteria food so I've packed quite a lot of lunches. I typically do put some type of ice pack in my youngest daughter's lunch. She generally likes lots of fresh fruits and veggies and she likes them to be cool when she eats them. For her main component of her lunch she prefers soup or dinner leftovers in an insulated thermos, but my older 3 typically liked sandwiches, sometimes peanut butter, but usually something with meat. For my older 3 I usually froze a juice box or pouch the night before than wrapped it in a paper towel and put it in a ziploc baggie. By lunch the juice would be thawed and the food was kept cold. My youngest doesn't care much for juice and rarely drinks it so I have a variety of small ice packs that I stick in her lunch every day. She carries and insulated lunch bag so things stay pretty cool. When my older kids were younger, none of our schools were air conditioned, so lunches stuck in a locker all morning in a regular lunch box could get pretty rotten. Now all the schools in our district have AC so that helps keeps things fresh, too. If my daughter is taking things fairly non-perishable such as a peanut butter sandwich, an individual container of applesauce, some baby carrots, and water, than I don't always feel it's necessary to put an ice pack in, especially in the winter when it's usually below freezing where we live.

Lunch for Picky Eaters?







My daughter is very picky and I need to pack her a good lunch.
She is vegitarian, loves fruit and cant have a microwave to heet/cook things at school.
also she dosent like eggs.

Any suggestions??

also she dosent eat vegies



Answer
Get her a good thermos to keep things hot until lunchtime. Also get an insulated lunch bag to keep other things cold. Some of them are very stylish anymore...not like when I was a kid!

Various wraps along with fruits, veggies and dips should take care of her needs. Don't forget cookies occasionally!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: When you pack your kids' lunches for school...?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment