Wednesday, August 7, 2013

How to advance from decision support to executive management?

lunch bags for executives on Doctor Style Fashion Bag, Fashion Bag, Evening Bag
lunch bags for executives image



BlackRepub


How does one advance from a decision support job to an executive management position in either government or corporate? 24 year old needs advice on how to continue climbing the ladder at a quicker pace. Preferrably a 4 to 5 year time span. I don't want to work for 10 to 15 years to get to the executive level. Any strategies?


Answer
It would take a lot of favors and bending over backwards for people higher up. Take a current executive to a brown bag lunch and interview him/her. Specifically ask what things must you demonstrate to show yourself worthy of the next level? Take advantage of the mentor/mentee relationships, for that is something that will get you ahead of a lot of candidates.

Do gays have it worse blacks and other minorities?




Annie


Racism/discrimination is bad in the world, but do GLTB(gays,lesbian,transgendered,bisexual) community have it worse in life. The always say gay is the new black.


Answer
Gay isn't the new black. Never was, never will be.
Yeah. It's rough being LGBT (I'm B, btw), but if you aren't old enough, you have no idea.
I just turned 59. I was 11 when JFK was killed. 16 when RFK and Dr. King were killed. 16 when the police rioted in Chicago. 17 when Fred Hampton was murdered by the police. 18 when students were murdered at Kent State and Jackson state.
Do you know who the Freedom Riders were?
Do you know about the four little girls who were murdered by racist bombing their church.
Do you know who Bull Conner was? Lester Maddox? George Wallace?
Do you know about the sit ins at Woolworth lunch counters?
Do you know who Emmit Till was? Do you know how he died?
Did you ever see a water fountain with a sign over it that said "White Only?
Did you ever see a sign in a movie theatre with an arrow pointing to the steps to the balcony that said "colored?"
Do you know who Goodman Shwerner and Chaney were?
Have you ever heard Doctor King's "I have a dream" speech? You should listen to it. You can hear it on the web.
Recently there have been some suicides. I don't say, as others have, tragic suicides. Suicide by its very nature is tragic. Gay kids bullied past the point of endurance.
One lynching as far as I know. That of Matt Shepperd.
People seem to think that lynching means being hanged. It doesn't mean just that. It includes being castrated, burned alive, beat to death by axe handles. Disemboweled.
You have to take my word for it that I am a white bisexual hillbilly from Western Maryland. When I sit at a restaurant, get on a bus, drink from a water fountain, there is no way that you can tell that I am bi.
I have friends who are only a few years older than I. They went to a school for colored children. Their text books were worn out, falling apart hand-me-downs from white schools.
Don't you ever, ever dare to feel that we know that the discrimination we face is anything comparable to what African Americans faced and still face every bitter day of their lives.
A guy who lived next door to me was always going off on n***** this and n***** that. There was a young couple lived down the street, He was black, she white. It drove him crazy. One day I got tired of his BS and pulled out my wallet. I took out a photograph of a medium brown, smiling little girl. "This," I told him, "is my niece. She's biracial."
He glared at me and went away.
He killed my cat. I can't prove it, but I know he did it.
The only way people know we are LGBT is if we make it obvious. And some of us do, and hooray for those who don't give a damn. But an African American is so easily spotted.
Some years ago a white executive at a certain company - I don't recall which one, but it was a pretty big one - weary of the institutional racism at the company, took a mini tape recorder into a board meeting. At some point, somebody made the observation that "All the black jelly-beans seem to be stuck on the bottom of the bag."
Lots of laughter.
We face some degree of discrimination and always will But if it hadn't been for the Civil Rights Movement there wouldn't have been any Stonewall riot (Dr. King would not have approved of a riot).
We'd still be slinking around in the shadows.
Those were the people who showed us what true courage is.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to advance from decision support to executive management?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment