Thursday, September 19, 2013

What is a good healthy lunch to eat while pregnant?

ladies lunch bags buy on ... - Insulated PVC Lunch Tote Bag By Danielle Creations - Ladies Gift
ladies lunch bags buy image



tori_729


I know I can't eat lunchmeat, and tuna only twice a week. I have access to a microwave at work but I eat in my car. I also like quick prep in the morning.
Any main dish and snack ideas are needed and also what I should add farther into my pregnancy (only 5 weeks at the moment.)



Answer
my little one is now 2mo - I found that preparation was key to being able to eat healthy. Otherwise the poor dear would've been surviving on coffee, french fries, tastycakes, and prenatal vitamins! LOL.

For me, fresh fruits and veggies worked best for snacks (either prepare the night before and refrigerate, or buy pre-prep'd) they're easy grab-and-go items b/c once they're prepared, you can just put them in snack-bags or whatever so they're all ready when you have to leave in the morning. And if the snacks start getting boring, you can always dip fruits in yogurt or honey and veggies in Ranch dressing or peanut-butter. Of course, those aren't your only options! Healthy-good stuff for you and the little one!

As for the lunch-meat dilemma - as it turns out, those are fine so long as you heat them to steaming-hot. So, if you like hot ham and cheese sandwhiches, you can grill it at home if you like and microwave it at work - same with hot roast-beef sandwiches! You can still do cold, non-lunch-meat sandwiches like PB&J, but I guess that depends on if you're allergic to peanuts or not. My dad likes to make LTO, bacon, and cheese-whiz sandwhiches as an alternative - so don't be afraid to get creative with your food! Pregnancy is the perfect excuse, afterall! *grins*

If you're still leary about lunch-meat and sick of sandwiches, I found the easiest thing for me was to make a little extra food for dinner each night and save what was left over in small tupperware-style containers - those fit easily into the lunchbag in the morning and can be microwaved on "real" or paper-plates once you get to work. (apparently, it's not considered "safe" to microwave plastics/styrofoams anymore, just an FYI while you're preparing stuff)

My favorite "make more than you need" item was rice and pasta - any kind of pasta or rice, if you save just those by themselves, can later be mixed with whatever kind of sauce, veggies, meats, etc that you wish! This works great if you don't feel like eating the same thing 2 days in a row because it allows you to change things around a bit. And it's really easy because cooking is just water and pasta/rice and it doesn't go bad in the refrigerator for a pretty long time.

If that stuff doesn't work for you, most freezer sections have pre-made dishes that you can take and microwave... but be careful, they're not only expensive but tend to have a lot of additives, especially salt, that aren't good for you OR baby. The best pic of those are the ones that have frozen veggies mixed with pasta/rice... but it's really cheaper to just do it yourself and maybe just scope out the pre-frozen ones for new ideas on different combinations! :-)

And don't worry... a common misconception is that you can't "fill up" on fruits, veggies, pasta, and rice - actually, eating healthier helps your body get the nutrients it needs (not to mention the ones the BABY needs!) so it doesn't make you feel like you have to eat so much/often. Also, drink LOTS and LOTS of water - that'll help the nutrients get to where they need to go and help you keep your energy up (rather than using coffee, since cafeine is one of those controversial pregnancy items) not to mention make sure the little one has plenty to swim around in! :-)

If you need more suggestions on food - or whatever else pregnancy-wise, try www.babycenter.com They've got loads of wonderful information for pre- and post-natal... and if I remember correctly, they even have a recipe page of quick healthy meals for new parents who don't have any time... I'm sure it would apply to exhausted working pregnant ladies too!

What are the best healthy snacks for my school lunches?




Chelisa G


For the past school year I have been eating healthier and exercising more regularly. But, my family does not have very much money, so its been hard. What are some healthy snacks (other than veggies, fruits and nuts; I know those) that are good sources of protein or fiber, etc?


Answer
That is great that you are already motivated to plan and bring healthy snacks to school!
Here are some of my favorites to include in a backpack (I'm not too fancy with my lunch, as I usually don't have enough time.)

Here are my suggestions (pick 2-3 choices during the afternoon):
-String Cheese and an apple (buy flavorful varieties like Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp)
-6 oz. Low-fat/light Yogurt with frozen berries (love Yoplait Key Lime Pie and Banana Cream Pie flavors)
-1/2 cup Cottage Cheese and whole grain crackers (love 1-2% small curd)
-Celery and Hummus
-Larabars
-Corn Tortilla wrap with veggies and low-fat meat. I put a little salsa and small amount of low-fat cream cheese in mine.
-Trail Mix (whole grain cereal, dried fruit, nuts)
-Salad with snap peas, beans, sunflower seeds, grilled chicken, and any other veggies that make you happy!


Have you ever tried making smoothies? Greek yogurt is a yummy way to add protein and calcium to your snack choices.
Here's my general recipe:-
-Yoplait Greek Plain (17 grams protein per 6 oz.)
-Frozen fruit (I like blueberries, mango, cranberries)
-small amount fruit juice
-ground flax seed (fiber and omega-3's) optional...can be a more expensive item

Then I will typically either have a hardboiled egg or a handful of walnuts as a "side" dish. Make sure for all the cold items that you pack in an insulated bag with a cold pack.

What have you been typically bringing for lunches and snacks?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good healthy lunch to eat while pregnant?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment