Monday, January 20, 2014

Packing lunch. 7AM to Noon. Food safe?

insulated lunch bag 10 hours on 10 5
insulated lunch bag 10 hours image



anonymous


I am a college student.
My house is 10 miles (20 minute drive) from campus. I commute. So I can't store lunch in the car.

For lunch, I usually eat in the cafeteria once a day, 5 days a week. It usually cost about $5.00 per meal. So for 5 days, it's $25.

I could save alot of money by packing my luch. I could pack bread, ham, and cheese sandwich.
The problem is that I don't have a car. My book bag is huge and if I carry an insulated lunch bag to hang over my shoulder, I would have too much on my body.

What I could do is put the sandwich in a disposable sandwich bag and put the bag in my book bag. However, I would be making the sandwich at about 7AM and not eating it until 11AM or 12PM (5 hours later).

Would my food still be good at that time?
I am also thinking of getting one of those leakproof plastic containers to pack other kinds of lunch. It is thin enough to put in my book bag.

Like this but longer and thinner:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/category.jhtml?cat=HPCat280023



Answer
It wouldn't be any good, but you could get an ice pack and stick it in a zip lock bag and put it in your back pack next to the sandwich, that may help keep it cold enough to stay good for those 5 hours. Good luck!

Suggestions for storing breastmilk while working.?




Maraina B


Does anybody have suggestions for storing breastmilk at work? I am about to go back to work and I need ideas. We do have a freezer but I don't want to gross out my coworkers.


Answer
it can be left out at room temp for 8-10 hours... you could just put a small insulated lunch bag in your purse and keep it there,even with just one of those little blue gel ice things.

you can also use the regular fridge... you can put it in a brown paper lunch bag w/ your name on it and no one will know if it's your ham and cheese sandwich for today or your baby's lunch for tomorrow!!

PLUS... if they're grossed out, they can find a new location for their stuff. It is not contaminated. It is not hazardous waste. It is NOT on some OSHA harmful working environment list.

Personally I'd just use the fridge. If there was not one available, I'd get a small insulated lunch box/bag and a reusable ice pack. It does not have to be frozen immediately... you can keep it room temp for the rest of the working day, and on ice for about 24 hours - then when you get home freeze it or use it or whatever! :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Packing lunch. 7AM to Noon. Food safe?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment