Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How to prepare for vacation if you're diabetic with insulin needs?




Glitter La


Hi, I am a type 1 diabetic, and I use insulin to keep me from getting high blood sugar readings. I take injections of Humalog for meals three times a day, and Lantus one time a day before bed. Been type 1 diabetic for about 10 months now...I am planning to go on a vacation trip and stay for about three weeks? How should I prepare for the trip? I will be traveling in an airplane. What should I take? Can I take needles with me, or a doctor's note. I have medical insurance that covers my medicines, but I don't know how much supplies will I need to cover for three weeks? At the place I am traveling to, there might not be a cool place to store my insulin in, like a fridge... I might have to improvise with ice.... Big thanks!


Answer
When I go on vacation, if I figure I will need 2 full bottles, I take 5 half-full bottles, in case I drop and break (or lose) one. [I might even take 6 half bottles. - I am paranoid lol.] - Start recording your use of everything now so you can plan how much to take, then add 25% or so.

Never put your medicines in cargo luggage in case it gets delayed or lost. Insulin and needles go through security all of the time. It is not necessary, but I found an insulated nylon lunch bag with a reusable "ice" pack in it. You can also put extra of those man-made ice packs in the bag, if you are going a long distance, or in a hot country.

Ice in a bucket works will if you want to keep the insulin on ice. But put the insulin in its box in a plastic bag so that the insulin does not get near freezing.

>> You being type 1 will really need to pay attention to time zone changes, and changes in eating patterns and times. {My case is not as critical as yours because I am type 2.}

Have a good vacation!

What are some meals I can make for my husband who is an EMT for him to eat on the run?




Heather


My husband works as an EMT. He's not overweight, but his fast food eating is killing our budget. I understand it's hard to eat when your driving/riding in an ambulance. He often cannot take leftovers because there is no microwave so please take that into consideration when recommending something. He's a "man's man"and likes to eat so meal bars aren't an option. He's says he's tired of sandwiches.


Answer
before making anything, get to the store and invest in a decent set of thermos's for both foods and beverages(if needed) and a decent lunch bag or box. I got one that is insulated and has a domed lid that is also insulated and works great for my son and son in-law who both carry lunches.
If you get a thermos for hot foods(wide mouth lid) you can send almost anything in there. Stew, hot dishes, soups, layer a mashed potato, meat and gravy "bowl".(Like KFC!) Heat the inside of the thermos first with very hot water and then, dump that and add the hot food and it will stay hot for a very long time.
Same with the cold Thermos. Chill with ice water and dump and add cold pasta salads, cold chicken salad(add some palin bread and he can make a sandwich to go as he has time.) or ham salad, etc.
In the summer, when the guys carry mostly cold things, I put the whole insulated cooler into the freezer, with the cooler lid open so that it is very cold come morning and then they add thier cold things from the fridge that we prepared the night before and it stays safely cold all day. All you need to add then is one of those sealed "ice" packs and they have good safely chilled food all day.
You can send pudding, jello and fruit, yogurt containers, fresh veggies in a bag with some dip, fresh fruit, most anything you want.
The imporant thing is the proper equipment, thermos for hot and one for cold and insulated carrying cases. There are also bowls with lids that have a small container for dressing for a on a salad or dip for veggies, lots of ideas.
I always make extra supper and the guys take some of that for lunch the next day. If there isn't any left overs then it is sandwiches. As long as they change it up, they don't get bored.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to prepare for vacation if you're diabetic with insulin needs?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment