Sunday, August 25, 2013

What do I wear to my first corporate job ?

lunch bags for professionals on Cold Bag
lunch bags for professionals image



Dee22


I will begin my professional career this summer and I don't know what clothes to buy. I want to stay cool during the summer, but I need to be dressed professionally. I recently graduated from college and I want to make a good impression.


Answer
Congratulations!

I have been working in business for many years and I am appalled by how far dress standards have fallen in the work place. It is encouraging to know that you want to make a good impression and are willing to take steps to do just that.

No spaghetti straps (unless covered by another garment).
Sleeveless might be acceptable but cap sleeve is better.
Never have a gap from top apparel to bottom apparel.
No flip flops!
Pretty but comfortable shoes will save your feet and make you feel so much better at the end of day. Carry the 4" heels to wear out on the town.
Manicure toes if you are allowed to wear sandals.
No see thru clothes.
Stay away from WILD prints.
Stay away from extreme styles (save for personal time)
Tight clothes will make you look heavier.
No clevage (save it for night clubs).

Misc.
Come to work every day - dependability of very impressive.
Be on time every day - aim for 10 Min early. This is really impressive.
Don't be late coming back from lunch.
Do not leave 3 Min early. If the boss comes by, she can only guess how long you have been gone.

The weekly JC Penney, Kohls, Macy's, Sears, advertisements will feature outifts what will look totally professional and meet your needs. Take a friend with you to help you choose your outfits. Don't forget to check discount stores like TJ Max, Ross, Stein Mart, or whatever you have in your city. If money if tight, try resale shops.

I suggest you keep your work wardrobe separate from your weekend and night wardrobe. All you will need to start is six outfits - wear one and move it the to the back fo the rod and then wear the others and move it to the back of the rod, and so on..... (I do this and it works great - and saves time in the morning.) As the paychecks come in, you can enlarge your wardrobe to where you do not have to wear outfits more than every two weeks. Just think 10-11 outfits is all you need.

You can even fill a plastic bag with the jewelry, scarf, shoes, hose, etc. that go with the outfit. (I don't do this but it is supposed to work great).

If you change your clothes when you get home, there is no reason to wash an outfit each time you wear it. Check each item before you hang it back up, to make sure that you did not get it sweaty or stain it during the day.

Look nice every day, not some days. In our office, we used to have to warn the staff if we were having company so we would not be embarrassed by the way the staff dressed. This is rediculous. You should dress for success every day, to the standard of dress that you interviewed in. If you are dressed such that you could pull weeds in your garb, or take the kids to the park, you should have stayed home!

Best of luck, I am sure you will be fine.

Dolores

I will be starting my first real job after college soon. What are some of the dos and don'ts on the first day?




Jasmine S


I will be starting my first professional job soon. What are some of the work etiquettes that I have to look out for. Please help me out. How should I behave and what not? I am actually very nervous. Is it better to take my own lunch or eat out the first few days?


Answer
I know right, I've been through something like this, but luckly I already got into a kind of boss position, so the co-workers is that were a bit nervous, in fact. Anyway, calm down, be polite and use common sense.

Dos:
- a good first impression and dress appropriately. Wear conservative and nice clothes (pencil skirts, scoop-necked tops, cowl neck blouses, cashmere cardigans, low heel closed shoes...)
- smile and be friendly.
- when meeting your co-workers, look them in their eyes, give a solidly professional handshake and say something like âitâs a nice to meet you and Iâm looking forward to working with you.â
- listen and learn. Pay attention to what the boss and others say on the first day and take as many notes as possible.
- If you have any doubts about something, ask a few basic questions. Don't be afraid, it's better to ask than to do something wrong.
- If you have tatoos, it's better to try disguise them with makeup.
Don'ts:
- be late
- forget your documentation. When you're starting a new job, you usually need to fill out several forms and paperwork.
- gossip
- curse. Avoid bad words like "that sucks" or "f*ck". It's very unprofessional.
- tell jokes
- dress in poor clothes: flashy colors, cleavage, tube tops, low-rise pants, ripped jeans, fishnet stockings, shorts, miniskirts, excessive makeup, visible bra straps, workout outfit, crocs, outrageous hair color...If you're expected to be running up and down all day, don't wear high heels.
- overuse the cell phone. If you "must" use your cell phone, do it privately and quickly.

If you can, test drive the route to your work place before the first job day so you can calculate the time of your daily commute. Also it's nice idea to take something for lunch to work in a lunch bag or in a thermal container and prepare it the night before. Have a good night's sleep before the job day, eat a hearty breakfast and good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What do I wear to my first corporate job ?
Rating: 97% based on 9832 ratings. 4,6 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment